Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Wishing

I was sitting outside my local Starbucks slowly sipping a Grande Chai. A truck drove by. A big truck actually. A really big truck, which is sort of unusual for the neighborhood I live in. It was a Walmart truck. Big blue letters screaming Walmart. It stopped at a traffic light, so I got to stare at it for a moment and that is all it took. My mind flooded with images.

I saw a big box outlet coming to town. No name on it mind you, it was a day dream and mine seldom have much detail. You know the story, mom-and-pop operators get a stick, and everyone else gets cheap crap. And just like all the stories you ever heard, everyone in town was excited about the big box's arrival, until they realized the hidden ugliness that comes with the big box.

Some of my neighbors enthusiastically helped draw the attention of the big box outlet. They made lots of noise about how they wished they had more choices in what products they got to buy. Others worked day and night to ready the ground, that it would be ever so easy for the big box to set up. Still others started to save their pennies, so they could be the first to burst though the doors when the big box finally opened its doors. With time, the big box heard their cries, looked at how accommodating the community and its leadership was, and decided to come to town.



I fear this scenario is unfolding in IW. We have wish lists in the forums, people pointing out what would make IW a more user friendly place, and we are growing in numbers. All of this is natural and I do not find fault in any of it. My only concern is that collectively, these activities sing a very sweet song. A song only the big box operators on papa grid can hear. Once enchanted, they will come, and they will come in droves.

Some will welcome the big guys with open arms while others will feel the influx is turning IW into an extension of papa grid. It doesn't really matter. Once the big guys show up, the little guy will get the stick once again.

3 comments:

  1. I think everyone has wishes..that would make their world a bit more friendly for them. I know there's a few things on my own wish list.

    With that said, I have the same concerns but I try to keep things in perspective. Meaning that the big boxes can come in, set up shop and make their sales....they may be ready to do that and some might have (I haven't really seen any of the big boxes come in yet that I know of anyway) but I'm not sure what their expectations would be. They won't make the sales they did on papa grid....IW is not even in comparison when it comes to size. If they come in swinging thinking they can drop the box, continously make tons of money....they are going to have serious disappointment. They may have a good run at first...but the long haul isn't going to be what they are used to.

    I just hope they realize that before they big box the world. It's not papa grid, the user base is smaller...we like to spread the wealth around and the people that are here now, although excited about the possiblity of certain big boxes.....they aren't sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness. My wish list idea was to appeal to the small business mentality not to suggest IW is lacking in talent and hope for corporations and such to come in. So sorry if that was misconstrued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misty - they don't need to make big money to take sales from our small operators. They just need to be here. They will suck up many of the sales our small community produces. This is only natural given the global awareness of their names. The sad thing is, they can come in, load 5000 products, then leave the grid only to return once a month to collect their cash.

    Jamie - I fully understand the intent of your forum post and I am sure it fueled many thoughts in our creative community. I know I saw things that got my scripting fingers excited. Your post, and others like it, are good for our community and should continue. Unfortunately, some big box is going to do a search for their name and find it in the forums. They will then say, "Gee that looks like a super easy market to dominate!" and they will come and do just that.

    ReplyDelete