Thursday, July 22, 2010

Altruism is Dead, Long Live Altruism


Many a refugee from other grids, myself among them, have found a home here in Inworldz. While we are all individuals with unique experiences, I have noticed a common thread running though the community. A thread which intrigues me to no end. I am speaking of the general altruistic nature of many individual residents of Inworldz, and of the community as a whole.

Anyone who comes to know me realizes quickly that I am a cynic by nature. After all, we are all products of our environments and wear our spots, like it or not. So when I ran into Scotsgraymouser Janus on my second day in Inworldz, I wasn't sure how to take her. She was warm and good natured, as most acquaintances are upon first contact, so this didn't alarm me- but what followed did.

Having spoken to me for all of 15 minutes, mouser, as I have come to refer to Scotsgraymouser as, offered me unlimited access to her sim with full rights to build whatever tickled my fancy. Naturally, I hesitated while I tried to find her angle, but I came up empty handed. For the life of me, I could not figure out what mouser's game was, nor could I see the catch that would indebt me to her. So I uncharacteristically took a chance and agreed to follow her to her sim, Equilibrium.

It was at Equilibrium where I was given the time, space, and most importantly, the freedom to discover my path in Inworldz. Mouser quickly set me up on a floating island and then simply left me to my devices. That is it. I remember still questioning mouser's motives when she left me standing on that floating island. It wasn't until I watched her mentoring at the welcome center and had several brief exchanges with her that I realized her true motivations. Mouser subscribes to an alien, to me at least, notion of altruism. Mouser asked for nothing and expected the same. Later when I asked why she does what she does, she didn't answer me directly but I understood. She does this because she enjoys people, enjoys Inworldz, enjoys art and artists, enjoys herself, and enjoys helping to bring things to life.

Mouser is but one of many residents of Inworldz who share these common traits, a common thread of altruism. Spend a few hours in Inworldz and you will see what I am talking about. It is evident from the moment you first rez in Inworldz, and are greeted not by opportunists, but by nurturing volunteers. Take it from a cynical papa-grid refugee, Altruism is Dead, Long Live Altruism.

3 comments:

  1. /me agrees. Mouser is a saint...but there are quite a few....

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the first people I met as well. Any new resident first landing at the coffee shop is extremely lucky when she's around.

    Never had the pleasure of knowing her on the papa grid (another thing I enjoy about IW) but now wonder what my life was missing over there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met Mouser on my first day there as well- she took me to her home, told me to feel free to set home - helped me knock the noob off and has been a great source of support and help when ever I have needed her - and just a good friend all around.

    I have noticed it too, Tigerbeatle- the folks in IW generally will give you the pixel shirts of their backs to get you going in the right direction. I applaud the Residents and Founders of our Brave New World.

    There have been many that have gone miles out of their way to help me get my start there and I see it everyday in IDI.

    ReplyDelete